15 October, 2013

Scones

I have not yet tasted a scone. I want to. With the abundance of cafes on campus, it's a wonder I haven't yet. I love our homemade scones, but I'm pretty confident they're different from the scones here. However, I must point out that I loath Starbucks' idea of what a "scone" should taste & look like. They make triangle cupcakes, not scones.

But I digress....

With a cold front in full force and spotty rain, I donned my wellies, and hoofed it to the grocery store for a couple ingredients for a batch of scones.

Oh. My. Sconeness. The self-rising flour, baking soda, and real European butter made the absolutely BEST dough I have ever experienced when making scones. I also used high-quality vanilla with vanilla beans in the bottle and soy milk (slightly sweeter than US soy milk).

Fantastic batch. I chose my method of forming the dough into a circle then slicing it like a pie, as opposed to the UK method of cutting out circles with a cutter. My reasoning, the less you mess with a dough, the more flaky and soft the results. Using a circle cutter requires picking up the remains and reshaping them to cut out more. This can toughen the dough.

They are as delicious as they look.


1 comment: