12 October, 2013

Second Week-Term 1

Monday Warm-day:
Weather report this morning warned of the season's first **Frost** by the end of the week.

Attended the first meeting for Warwick Improvised Theatre Society (WITS). I tried to channel the teachings I remembered from Luna (1st acting instructor) and my theater friends. I used the space, freed my body parts, tried to keep awareness of 'safety zones', invaded people's space, and generally tried to be as foolish feeling as possible. We went for drinks afterward at the Dirty Duck, on campus. I might join up and attend their Thursday session, too. Campus has bars, but I'm not about to drink that beer. It's about the quality of Miller Light.

At this university you have to pay for every club membership and be on the official Warwick Uni registry in order to play with the society kids.

Tuesday Spa:
Road the bus to Leamington Spa for a day in the gardens. Queen Victoria used this town apparently for royal retreats, etc. Many of the houses & buildings here are a few hundred years old and still contain the servant's bells in the basements, where their rooms were traditionally located.

I mostly spent time in Jephson Gardens and Mill Gardens. Enough chit-chat, enjoy the view :)
Click on the pictures for a larger view.

St. John's Church. It was closed.

Leamington Spa Town Hall. How cool is this!

Town Hall

Oversized statue of Queen Victoria in front of Leamington Spa Town Hall.


Lionhead fountain at one of the entrances to the park.

Lionhead fountain up close.

The trees were so wildly tall. The building in the back is the Royal Pump Rooms & Bath. 
Yep, authentic old-school turkish baths tapped into local hot springs for the rich and dirty.

Found a Redwood here. Very cool.



Strike a pose, sir. You're about to be immortalized.... again.

I wonder what's going through his head? 
"How is thought possible? I'm made of stone. Oh look, a cookie!"

The Butterfly gardens.




This Japanese *** tree contracted a root fungus early in its sapling years. By the time they detected it, they had no choice, but to cut it down. Rather than throw all those lovely ginormous branches away, they made them, and the stump, into stunning benches with different engravings for the park. The other side of this trunk is a bench.

To give some perspective, these leaves are half my height. They're growing on the banks of the River Leam. 

Under the leaves.


The other bank.


The leaves are beginning to fall. The trees are changing.

River Leam, early autumn.

A lovely mixture of mediaeval & modern. 

The Royal Pump Rooms & Bath.

....and I caught site of these two lovely gems just before leaving. 
1. "Munchies" is a sandwich shop two doors down from "Planet Bong".
2. An employee of Munchies has now offered up another submission for Apostrophe


Wednesday Snoooze:
I slept in an extra 30 minutes this morning. Arrived on campus 1:30 hours early, slept for the first hour. Attended a 2 hour lecture on basic statistics (for the economic students), slept for about an hour off-and-on throughout. STILL asked more questions than the other students (save one) and even got some research talk in with the professor. At one point in my lecture nap I actually dreamt about sleeping.

I went straight home to nap, then couldn't sleep for lack of a snuggle buddy. I changed tactics and did a slow yoga routine to stretch my back, hamstrings, quads, calves, and shoulders. The entire back side of my body must have been all scrinched up I guess, because the practice felt wonderful.

Thursday Thinking:
CCCCold. FFFFront.
This is my long day of the week. I'm on campus first thing in the morning until possibly well after dark. Today was old and new theories which kept me just interested enough not to fall asleep. I really don't mean to, I just don't do well sitting for hours at a time not writing, not typing, not asking questions, while being lulled by soft talking English professors. For bucksakes I gotta do something! Which has always made me wonder about my long-winded meditation sessions. Am I reaching greater depths of consciousness or just falling asleep?

Met up with another student society tonight, WASH. I forget what it stands for. The meeting was at Terrace Bar on campus. Same beers at the Dirty Duck, so no thank you. We played pool, they drank beers, I enjoyed the rare soda-POP. Everyone seemed more interested in pointing out the differences between my American terms and their English terms.

English pool: 3 types of balls; red, yellow, and the 8 ball.
American pool: 1-7 solid balls, 9-15 striped balls, and the 8 ball.

English pool: you "pot" the ball.
American pool: you "sink" the ball.

English pool: potting the cue ball is a "foul".
American pool: sinking the cue ball is a "scratch".

English pool: a foul earns the other person two consecutive shots.
American pool: a scratch earns you limited free placement of the cue ball.


No comments:

Post a Comment