19 October, 2013

Third Week-Term 1

Monday Conversations:

Q. Opportunities do they exist?
A. Possibility.

Q. When is something a missed opportunity?
A. Daniel Dennett says it's only an opportunity if you had knowledge of it. If you didn't know, you didn't have the freedom to make the choice. Without that freedom, the opportunity never existed for you.

Q. So you like to jog?
A. Acclimation. Wearing myself down to exhaustion makes me vulnerable to the environment. It is in that state of vulnerability that I must rely on my environment to support me and build me back up. By doing this, I acclimatize much quicker and more fully. The assumption here, of course, is that it is a good thing to acclimatize.

Q. What is campanology?
A. Having a wickedly good time with bells.

The Warwick Bell Ringing Society meets at St. John Baptist Church, Honiley. We walked up on it at night, through a graveyard. Beautiful.

Ringing the bells! 

 The view from inside the bell tower.

After a couple hours of bell ringing, we bus over to The Case Is Altered pub in Five Ways. This isn't my photo, but we arrived at night so no photo opportunity.

Super old world pub. Cash only, fire place, low ceilings, perfect.

After drinking, billiards :)


Take a gander at my Monday :)

Tuesday Conversation:

You know when you watch a movie and it makes you want to go out and buy a bottle of red wine, smoke a cigarette, and take a stroll down High St. until you reach the park and you just have to touch the leaves of every plant bordering the moss covered stone path, kick the tops off dandelions, then brush the hair from your eyes a moment before you make eye contact with the most perfect croissant in the shop window, and as you indulge in the pastry butteriness, you must, absolutely must high-five the granite counter? That's Blue Jasmine.

Wednesday Conversations:

Q. How'd you do on the economic assignment?
A. Really well. I think I'm starting to get it.
Q. Really?
A. Well... I missed every answer, but I really think I'm getting the hang of it.

Q. How'd you do on the programming assignment?
A. Really well. I think I'm starting to get it.
Q. Really?
A. Well... I haven't written a single successful command, but I really think I'm getting the hang of it.

Forget it, I'm going for a walk.





 Chestnut trees (aka "crackers"). Children everywhere collect them - the bigger the better - drill a hole through the middle, tie a string and swing them around to try and "crack" the opponent's swing. In other words, a game perfectly designed for the big brother to win and to create a life-long hatred in little sisters everywhere.



Thursday Conversations:

Q. What do you do when you're new in town and everyone you know is also new in town?
A. Schedule a last-minute meet up at the local pub for drinks, chats, smirks, and pool.

This is the night I found out that at least two people in my graduate group have been too intimidated by me in class to ever talk with me. What is up with that?

Friday.....

I slept in then spent the rest of the day talking with H.A.L.
H.A.L. only had one thing to say to my computer commands all day.


No comments:

Post a Comment