01 November, 2013

Fourth Week-Term 1

I don't care if Monday's black:

Still enjoying the residuals from Sunday's Hermitage visit. As strange as it feels to jump on an unmarked bus with a bunch of people I don't know, sharing a massive language barrier, with no idea of our direction or time table, t here's still something delicious about it.

The fear that leads to knowledge.

Then, of course, ending the evening with the lovely Bell Ringing Society.

The bells, the bells!
Isolated, cold in their tower of echos,
Ringing, ringing!
As cadavers absorb my vibrations.


Tuesday, Wednesday - heart attack:

Caught a last-minute train to Liverpool to attend a last-minute Q&A with Lawrence Krauss.
It was almost everything I would never expect from a night with a superstar Physicist.
My review and the pictures of the beautiful Liverpool & the Lawrence Q&A are here.

The University of Liverpool Humanists blogged about it (used my pics!).
And another Liverpoolian gave his 2-cents as well <- This guy asked a great question, too.

Class was cancelled on Wednesday so I lucked out completely. Took an easy train ride back. Worked on the new R language.

Thursday, never looking back:

Went for a run EVERY DAY THIS WEEK. My arms can barely move from the push-ups & pull-ups I'm thrashing my way through. I have a goal. Fully unsupported handstand. It requires just the right ratio of weight:strength. Then ability steps in. I could do supported headstands before. I want to surpass that previous plateau.

Ended up in Leamington Spa for the evening having dinner, playing pool, and just generally hanging out with the local WASH Society. The night's meeting was all about opening a dialogue on the efforts and effects of religious forces. One member played the proper Devil's Advocate, though he did seem to have trouble committing to the role since he didn't agree with any of it. It gave me an opportunity to test the English waters on local policies, opinions, segregations, etc. It was the general understanding that, after comparing notes, the UK has had remarkably fewer segregation & exclusionary laws than the US, particularly if you're focussing on the last 120 years.

Ran into an extremely inebriated young hair-dresser around midnight who insisted on hitting on almost all the guys in the group. Then, inevitably, he targeted me as the one to dump his problems on. Wow, so honoured (that's sarcasm children).

Leamington Spa, however, is a lovely little slice of England worth visiting. Check out some pics here.

It's Friday, I'm in love.

Since I borrowed from them, I shall share them. Enjoy:



No comments:

Post a Comment